Ich hat 8 jahre in Deustchland gewohnen. Warum spreche ich Deutsch nicht? Scheiße!!!


This blog is a space where I've given myself permission to express my thoughts as they come to me without the pressure to clean them up, or translate them for anyone's benefit; just my naked thinking showing up as text on screen. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes poignant, sometimes absurd; kinda like me.

Three things you need to keep in mind as you read my posts:

1.) I have extremely sexy eyebrows.
2.) I didn't handpick all of those videos to the right. I love Adam Curtis, and this was my YouTube compromise.
3.) I like semicolons; I think they're fun!

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hospitaliano

Really just hospitality, but the Olive Garden's term is like a superlative version of the word in my mind.

So, it's about 7:30 am, and I'm in someone's guest bedroom (2 x 1) while I visit a prospective school. It's been interesting to notice how distinct the culture of each program is. This one is big on support and connection, which is great. But, one of the ways that has manifested is that most of my waking hours are accounted for and spent with someone during the visit.

My hosts, who are great, are early risers- so I have early morning companionship. Then, I'm taken to campus, where I'm met by program emissaries, and taken to my first meeting. The meeting goes well, and is brought to conclusion by a kind soul who has shown up to walk me to my next meeting.

This process continues until lunch, where I leave my most recent appointment to find a group of students (my lunch companions waiting for me), and one of the staff members holding my coat so that I wouldn't have to go pick it up. (Hospitality, right?)

So, we lunch, and I'm walked back into the care of someone else, this process continues until dinner, which is at someone's home. After dinner, I'm brought home to meet and debrief with my supercool hosts.

Day 1 of the visit has been great. But, here is what I wonder at 7:45 am, heading into Day 2:

"Uhm- when can I take a shit?"

No comments: