Ich hat 8 jahre in Deustchland gewohnen. Warum spreche ich Deutsch nicht? Scheiße!!!


This blog is a space where I've given myself permission to express my thoughts as they come to me without the pressure to clean them up, or translate them for anyone's benefit; just my naked thinking showing up as text on screen. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes poignant, sometimes absurd; kinda like me.

Three things you need to keep in mind as you read my posts:

1.) I have extremely sexy eyebrows.
2.) I didn't handpick all of those videos to the right. I love Adam Curtis, and this was my YouTube compromise.
3.) I like semicolons; I think they're fun!

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Yeah, I know it's not facebook

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The South
Philadelphia
The West
The Northeast
The Inland North
Boston
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

I thought this was kinda fun, since for years after I moved to the states, people would interrupt me within the first few sentences of our conversation to ask "Where are you from?!?"

Why did they ask? Because I didn't have an accent that they could place, but clearly I was American. Years that shit went on, years. At least once a week through college someone would tell me that I should be a newscaster; I had the perfect Midwestern, nondescript American-English accent. Every now and again I get it still, but what I think is odd is that far more often I get asked, "Where are you from, New York?"

Really, New York?

I sound nothing like a New Yorker, but I get asked 10 or 12 times a year. And, when I go to NY I get asked if I'm from Brooklyn.

Look, I know that's a borough with a lot of pride, but I think the insinuation is absurd. Brooklyn? Nigga please.

No comments: