Ich hat 8 jahre in Deustchland gewohnen. Warum spreche ich Deutsch nicht? Scheiße!!!


This blog is a space where I've given myself permission to express my thoughts as they come to me without the pressure to clean them up, or translate them for anyone's benefit; just my naked thinking showing up as text on screen. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes poignant, sometimes absurd; kinda like me.

Three things you need to keep in mind as you read my posts:

1.) I have extremely sexy eyebrows.
2.) I didn't handpick all of those videos to the right. I love Adam Curtis, and this was my YouTube compromise.
3.) I like semicolons; I think they're fun!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

No Homo

I'm a little bit too old, and a little bit too female, and a little bit too homosexual, and a little bit too "something other than urban" for this to be meaningful to me. But, I'm kinda taken with the phrase, right? So, if you're a young strapping man and you want to say something that could be perceived as homo, but you don't want your friends to call you a homo, you say "no homo". OK.

I think it's big on high school football teams too. So, lots of aggressive testosterone space when men/boys smack each other on the ass, and do all of the homoerotic things that men and boys do. No homo. OK.

Now, there's space for "no homo" right after , "Suck my dick!" You can say "no homo" after you tell a friend that his mouth is really sexy. But, I think that most of it is to avoid being accused of being a homo in spaces that are not homo-accepting.

Now the merits and challenges, or homophobia implicit in "no homo" could fill a book. You would have to talk about the song that purportedly gave rise to the phrase, and the reason it's become so salient in the cultures of young men. Someone can do that.






Thinking about it makes me want to get a T-shirt that says, "Real men love Jesus! (no homo)"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The T-shirt, yeah I'd buy it. And the bumper sticker. I absolutely hate this phrase, and I hear it almost everywhere that has a large population of teen and college aged men. *rolling eyes*