Ich hat 8 jahre in Deustchland gewohnen. Warum spreche ich Deutsch nicht? Scheiße!!!


This blog is a space where I've given myself permission to express my thoughts as they come to me without the pressure to clean them up, or translate them for anyone's benefit; just my naked thinking showing up as text on screen. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes poignant, sometimes absurd; kinda like me.

Three things you need to keep in mind as you read my posts:

1.) I have extremely sexy eyebrows.
2.) I didn't handpick all of those videos to the right. I love Adam Curtis, and this was my YouTube compromise.
3.) I like semicolons; I think they're fun!

Friday, August 8, 2008

Perfection is NOT the Goal!



I have really high standards, but I've been working on that. I have unattainable standards, but I've been trying to cut myself some slack.

heading into this degree program i have made a commitment to myself that i will not seek perfection. i almost made a banner to put on my wall: "Perfection is NOT the goal!!" it was going to go right above my desk.

perfection-seeking means that i'm not actually making progress, but spending inordinate amounts of time just spinning my wheels; significant amounts of time invested in making changes that are reflective of differences of opinion, not improvements.

so, i have made a commitment that everything i produce will be a work in progress. every paper i turn in, every presentation that i do, every article that i publish, each of them will be a work in progress when i submit them.

getting this monkey of perfection off my back frees me up not to be so self-critical, and scathingly so, but also to be happier, more engaged in my life, and to actually get more done with the time that i have in a day.

"hello, i'm a first-year graduate student, and perfection is not my goal."

No comments: