Ich hat 8 jahre in Deustchland gewohnen. Warum spreche ich Deutsch nicht? Scheiße!!!


This blog is a space where I've given myself permission to express my thoughts as they come to me without the pressure to clean them up, or translate them for anyone's benefit; just my naked thinking showing up as text on screen. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes poignant, sometimes absurd; kinda like me.

Three things you need to keep in mind as you read my posts:

1.) I have extremely sexy eyebrows.
2.) I didn't handpick all of those videos to the right. I love Adam Curtis, and this was my YouTube compromise.
3.) I like semicolons; I think they're fun!

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Hey! Are You Housing Discriminating Me?


Yeah, you! Old White Christian Conservative Guy. Are you housing discriminating me? Because, I was told that you were desperate to fill this unit, and I was the first one here.

I'm ready to sign, and I have a list of references in my left hand, and my security deposit in my right. Wait, what? You need to see if someone else wants the apartment? The unit is still available isn't it? So, what's going on again, cuz I'm looking to pay for somewhere to live, you have somewhere to live but you need someone to pay you. The shit sounds like a symbiotic relationship to me. You took down my references; even my boss' number. What's the hold-up papi?

So, that looked very confusing. After stewing over it, and talking to the folks who were with me, I decided, "Yup. Looks like discrimination." I found a housing alternative, and then decided to call the guy to find out what the story was.

I laid out what I saw, and told him what looked like a reasonable conclusion to me, and then asked him to help me understand what was going on. He got pissed, but it didn't deter me. So, we worked through it. He told me enough of his side of the story and what happened and why for things to look sane and reasonable.

He could be lying through his teeth. I don't think he is, but he very well could be. I'm still okay with it.

White people: If you are going to housing discriminate (really I guess any discrimination. really I guess, not just white people), please understand that you need to get your story together. As long as you can offer a reasonable explanation that stands up to scrutiny, pretty much you can have people easily accept the most absurd of circumstances.

No comments: